On 7/12/21 2:21 PM, antlists wrote:
Two problems - I would like to run without X, but it seems that the greeters need X to run ...

I'm not familiar with the term "greeter", but I assume that you're referring to the display manager that functions as the GUI login screen.

Also I want to run a multi-user system. I know you can put multiple monitors on one graphics card, and that gives you a multi-head system, but I've got TWO graphics cards. I want to plug in two keyboards, two mice, and have two users sitting there.

I would naively assume ~> expect that this is possible.

I would expect that you would probably need two different graphics cards.

I'm guessing no more than one set of PS/2 keyboard & mouse and that the other (if not both) will be USB.

Configuration may be ornery, but I would assume ~> expect that this is possible to do. After all, you're really talking about having the system function as two independent X11 servers, one for each set of keyboard, mouse, monitor. This is imminently doable with external X11 servers. I see no reason other than ornery configuration that you shouldn't be able to do this.

I'm thinking old school X11. My expectations may not translate to contemporary systems. But I would be shocked if not flabbergasted if it was not possible to do what you want.

Word to the wise: USB devices, especially multiple of the same type, can be annoying to deal with. You may want to look at a udev (et al.) rule to create custom device names (likely based on device serial number) and use said custom device names in your configuration files.

From what I can make out, this isn't possible with sddm. Lightdm looks like it might be possible, but there isn't a man page, and I haven't installed it so I can't find out what's what.

I have no idea about configuring Display Managers (XDM, sddm, Lightdm, etc.) to do this.

Or can I fire up two instances of greetd? One on eg vt7 and the other on vt8? If so, how do I configure vt7 and vt8 to be my two different screen/keyboard/mouse combos?

My expectation is that the various display managers run in relation / within the context of a given X server.

Lightdm also says it will do vnc, but again, the lack of documentation...

Which VNC?  x11vnc or Xvnc?

Unless you're wanting x11vnc to share a physical console, I doubt that's what you want. As Xvnc will be a purely virtual X11 server.

I know I'm asking a lot, but I tend to find documentation makes sense only after you already know what it's saying ... :-) I'm hoping for a "cookbook" style approach, but I don't expect much of that because I know what I'm doing isn't very common ...

Ya. I find that man pages and O'Reilly books are good /reference/ material but not good /introduction/ material.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die