On Mon, 2021-09-20 at 15:56 +0200, Gerrit Kuehn wrote:

> Well, this was the suggested way to go, see
> https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2021-05-05-python3-9.html

It was only suggested for a period of about three weeks:

  We are planning to switch the default Python target of Gentoo systems
  on 2021-06-01, from Python 3.8 to Python 3.9.  If you have not
  changed the values of PYTHON_TARGETS or PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET, the
  change will have immediate effect on your system and the package
  manager will try to switch automatically on the next upgrade
  following the change.

> But also when trying "emerge -1vUD @world" (be it with or without the
> package.use settings), I get stuck in conflicts (mostly on perl and
> setuptools). perl issues would probably resolve once I have EAPI8
> support, i.e. get new portage.

You can try --backtrack=200 (or a larger value) to fix that; it was a
problem for a lot of people. Even though the end result of both
approaches is "it doesn't work," I promise you you're better off not
messing with the python stuff until the system is fully upgraded.
Upgrading a year-old system is hard enough, and the introduction of
EAPI=8 just made it worse.