Hello, Marco.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 21:27:26 +0200, Marco Rebhan wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 September 2021 20:23:57 CEST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Where would I find a suitable kernel git repository to clone?  An
> > "official" repository, whatever that means?  Ideally, I want one with
> > just the various kernel releases, not one containing gigabytes of
> > intermediate versions.  Where would I even start searching to find
> > this out?

> Hey Alan,

> The official repository I think is
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/.
> What I would do is apply your patch on top of that, and then to update
> it, rebase the patch onto the new upstream commit you want to update to.
> This leads to your patches always being at the tip of the commit history
> and not somewhere buried between commits from upstream.

Thanks, that was a very great deal of help.  Rather than downloading the
/torvalds/ repo, I went for /linux-stable-rc/, which appears to have
release versions going back a long, long way.  It has a tag for every
such version, which is just what I wanted.

So far, I've constructed a clean patch which applies to 5.14.5, for
Jorge Almeida.  Maybe I can clean up the others over the weekend.

I've decided to create a single branch for each kernel version I'm
patching.  So, so far, I've got a branch called scroll-5.14.5.  From
that I have recreated a clean diff file for that version.  I may
not be doing a lot of rebasing, since I'm creating patches for already
released versions rather than keeping up to date with the head of the
master branch.

> However, this rewrites git history so you'd have to force push the
> branch to whatever remote you're tracking it in, so keep that in mind.

I don't envisage any upstream accepting my patch.  The powers that be
were adamant that the soft scrolling be removed from the official
kernel, ostensibly due to security reasons.  I may get around to posting
the patch on the Gentoo wiki, but for now it'll just be on the mailing
list, plus to any individual Linux user who asks for a copy.

> You could do this though and additionally have another branch where you
> track the patch files themselves that are rebased onto a certain kernel
> commit (you can export them with "git format-patch upstream/master" if
> upstream/master is whatever branch the patch is currently rebased on).
> That of course you don't have to then force push.

I'll probably have a more static system than that, doing a git pull when
after a new gentoo-sources is released.

> I hope this helps :P

It did indeed.  Thanks!

--