On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 1:42 PM Skippy <linux...@204eastsouth.com> wrote:

> I created the symlink as you instructed and it appears to be working.
> When I enable use of youtube-dl in gPodder I get no error messages.  I
> just added a youtube feed and am downloading some videos.

Keep in mind that some APIs might break and others might not, so
whether there is a problem is going to depend on a lot of details.
One program might work with this workaround, and another might fail in
subtle ways.  So, it isn't a good idea to just symlink this for all
users.

However, as you seem to have found, it may work in some cases, and if
it does that is great.  I imagine you aren't using much software that
makes use of the python APIs, so the risks are fairly low if you are
happy with what you found in testing.

> In regards to filing a bug - I'm unclear exactly what the bug is.  Is
> the bug the fact that gPodder will not use yt-dlp in place of youtube-dl
> without your work-around?

Correct.  The fact that you didn't run into issues will probably be
useful feedback as well.

--
Rich