On 11/30/21 1:56 PM, Laurence Perkins wrote:
So the old inconsistency was a super-bad kind of inconsistency. The interfaces got named based on the order in which the devices were discovered. Which, on a lot of systems, meant that every boot was essentially rolling the dice on a race condition.

-guppy mouth-

If you only have one device, you're fine. If your devices consistently come up in the same order, you're fine. If there's jitter though then things can easily get messy, and do so unexpectedly.

I guess I never really gave the renaming much thought because I almost always complied drivers into the kernel, which meant that they had a consistent ~> predictable enumeration and naming order.

The new naming scheme names devices based on where they show up on the bus. This has its own issues. It means that USB adapters get different names when plugged into different slots. It means that adding or removing other PCI bus devices can change the bus address and therefore the name of your network interfaces.

Thank you for that explanation.  It describes what I witnessed perfectly.

I've seen motherboard firmware updates do the same.

Oy vey!

But, at least in theory, this inconsistency should be triggered by something you *know* about unless hardware is getting added and removed by someone else without your knowledge.

One would hope.

If you only have one interface though and tweak your hardware regularly then you'll probably be happier to put it back to the old naming scheme because with only one device it should always be eth0.

Indeed.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die