On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 at 01:28, Steven Lembark <lemb...@wrkhors.com> wrote:

> Before I spend a lot of time backtracking all of this...
>
> Q: Are either of these issues well-known pathologies of emerge?

Python target troubles are indeed common around major python version
upgrades, which we've had quite a few of lately.

In your case, I would try running a depclean, dev-python/pytest-runner
does not seem to be in the tree at all, so complaining about not
finding a newer version satisfying the wanted python targets makes
sense there. Removing outdated packages is almost always helpful in
these instances.

Regards,
Arve