On 22/12/2021 16:17, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2021-12-21, Laurence Perkins <lperk...@openeye.net> wrote:

Note that some editing software can only cut at the iframes, and
it's also fairly common to only be able to cut at the iframes unless
it's re-encoding the data.

AFAIUI, it's not even theoretically possible to cut anyplace other
than the I-frames without decoding and reencoding at least the portion
of the stream where the cut is being made. While it might be possible
to copy the rest of the stream, I don't know of any editors that will
do that.

What is an i-frame? As I understood it, typically when you had a scene change, a frame was written in full, then subsequent frames were stored as diffs. Is that what an i-frame is?

In which case, surely it can't be that tricky to delete a block without having to decode/encode more than a few frames?

And how come PVRs do it so easily?

Cheers,
Wol