On 12/31/21 8:12 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
++

+++ to KVM / libvirt / VirtManager (GUI)

This is just a front-end to libvirt and kvm, so you're building entirely on solid technologies, and anything you set up with the GUI can be edited or run or otherwise managed from the command line, and vice-versa.

Close, but not quite.

Yes, anything that can be done in the GUI can be done at the CLI / config files.

Though I have had some more essoteric things that had to be done at the CLI / config files that couldn't be done in the GUI. This usually has to do with more advanced things like iSCSI, Fibre Channel, ZFS pools / dataset per guest, etc.

The vast majority of the things that someone starting with KVM will want to do can be done with the Virtual Machine Manager GUI.

It ends up resembling something like VirtualBox or the old VMWare Workstation edition, but it is all FOSS and in-kernel so it just is more reliable/etc.

Yep. There are only so many ways that you can present a concept; inventory of VMs, VM console, VM management. They start to look similar after a while.

That said, I only use VMs situationally and at this point just about everything I'm doing is in containers if it can be linux-based. Way lighter all-around, even if I'm running a full OS in the container. I personally prefer to run my containers with nspawn and virtual ethernet, so each container gets its own IP via DHCP.

The Virtual Machine Manager GUI can also administer / manage some aspects of containers.

I would highly suggest giving Virtual Machine Manager GUI for KVM+libvert+qemu a try. It is probably the quintessential Linux virtualization method.

Oh, and for kvm if you want to run your guests on your main LAN you'll probably need to set up a bridge interface.

Yes, bridging is very nice and is my preferred way for most VM use cases. Though it might be a bit more than someone wants to tackle while getting their feet wet with virtualization. Especially if you're trying to share a single NIC for other aspects of the hosting system. It can all be done, but there is a lot of minutia (methods and configurations therein) that are easy to get lost in. I'd probably recommend a second NIC, even if it's an inexpensive USB NIC just for the virtualization. Doing that will avoid complexities that don't need to be dealt with /now/. -- Reduce the number of variables that you're working with at one time.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die