On 1/9/22 07:49, William Kenworthy wrote:
My MS surface pro4 has died (swelling battery has popped the screen - known problem) so I am looking for a better replacement. I bought it new years ago but it only got good Linux support (touchscreen etc.) in the last couple of years so its been a bit frustrating.

So the question is - whats a good replacement?  Criteria is good battery life, can dual boot windows (this is my only windows machine these days and there are still some cases - Logitech harmony remote for one) and gentoo with everything working/supported.  I do like the tablet with detachable physical keyboard design but I mostly use it with keyboard attached.  And non-microsoft hardware is preferred (the sp4 failure is a design issue for which MS suffered a class action lawsuit to get them to honour the warranty - I don't want a repeat)

BillK

Do you really need/want dual boot, or would Windows in a VM work?