> This, in my opinion, is a case of “useless use of cat”.
> `cat somefile | sort` can be replaced by “sort file”.
Agree with that, i will attempt to add an replacing
adivce  to the talking page of the kernel/upgrade wiki
page.

> I don’t quite follow. Do you mean the “.*”, so you replace .* with .?
Yes. Based on the explanation of '*' in the gawk manual, it's
used to match zero/one/more times repeating of the preceding character which in
turn doesn't match the default
diff printing mode( >for removing, <for adding). It's not
necessary to add '*' to '/^>.*(=|Linux)/'.