Greetings,

since the output of "emerge -a" might be long, and since on a stock con-
sole you cannot scroll,  I had the idea of piping it into "tee",  and in
case I'm unsure  just to say  "No"  to the question  of whether or not I
would like to merge these packages and then to inspect the "emerge" out-
put more closely using an editor.

Sadly, however, this works only partly:

   $ sudo emerge -1a acct-group/abrt | tee
   Password:

   Calculating dependencies  ... done!
   [ebuild  N     ] acct-group/abrt-0-r1

And that's it, however long you're going to wait here.  You can then
blindly say "No", and "tee" will continue its output:

   Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
   Quitting.

   $

Replacing "tee" with "more" does not change anything, so most likely the
culprit is "emerge" itself, which seems to instantly block standard out-
put after it has sent its question there.

So, is this a bug or a feature?

Sincerely,
  Rainer