Hi,

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:53:11 +0100
Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> /etc/locales.build
>
> which says
>
> # This file names the list of locales to be built when glibc is installed.
> # /usr/share/i18n/locales directory, and <charmap> is name of one of the files
> # in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/. All blank lines and lines starting with # are
> # ignored. Here is an example:
> # en_US/ISO-8859-1
> [...]
> Glibc built fine (afaict), but my problem is that I now don't know what
> to export with a LANG variable.
>
> For example, if I want [EMAIL PROTECTED]/UTF-8, how do I export that as
> opposed
> to [EMAIL PROTECTED]/ISO-8859-15 (or worse, ISO-8859-1)?

Note the comment you've cited: The format is "locale/charmap". This
generates the locale data for a certain "language" (it's a little bit
more than just language, though) for the specified charmap.

In LANG/LC_* you only set the locale. The charmap is (semi-)
automatically chosen, which makes sense, since it's terminal dependant
which charset is used.

> Was I supposed to give the locales individual names as the Localization
> Guide implies? locales.build doesn't indicate that you can do that (and
> in fact, I thought perhaps the reason why language exports were mildly
> borked might be because I had done so).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ISO-8859-1 didn't make much sense to me (and maybe causes
some failures when building?), but other from that it seemed OK.

> Should I just get rid of the 'extra' locales (ISO-8859-15 and
> ISO-8859-1)? Since I guess I'm going to try to stick to UTF-8, maybe I
> don't really need them (I was mostly covering my butt, concerned that my
> current and future network connections might not support UTF-8, since
> they're mostly to Windows machines).

All the terminals you're using support UTF-8?

> I guess I've made a mistake, but I'm not quite sure what to do about it.
> Since fixing it will most almost certainly require a recompile of glibc,
> and since compiling glibc takes nine-tenths of forever, I'd like to get
> it on with it as soon as possible (sigh). So any hints would be appreciated.

How does the "borkism" of your locales manifest?

-hwh