On 3/9/22 11:50 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
This is normal, at least when using systemd.

How is this a /systemd/ thing?

Is it because systemd is enabling a /kernel/ thing that probably is otherwise un(der)used?

I ask as someone who disliked systemd as many others do. But I fail to see how this is systemd's fault.

To disable this behavior, you have to set:

   sysctl fs.protected_regular=0

But you should know what this means when it comes to security. See:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/fedora-devel/msg252452.html

I read that message, but no messages linked therefrom, and don't see any security gotchas about disabling (setting to 0) fs.protected_*

I see some value in a tunable to protect against writing to files of different type in the guise of protecting against writing somewhere that you probably want to not write. Sort of like shell redirection ">" protection for clobbering existing files where you likely meant to append ">>" to them.

But I am ignorant as to how this is a /systemd/ thing.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die