Jeff Smelser wrote:

>On Tuesday 01 November 2005 04:58 pm, C. Beamer wrote:
>

>>The database
>>that I had created by creating a directory that was named after the
>>database that I had created when using FC4 and then copying my database
>>related files into it, did not back up.  Hence my assumption that
>>because the database was *not* created in MySQL under Gentoo, perhaps
>>this was the reason that the backup did not "pick up" (for lack of a
>>better description) this database.
>>

>How were you backing/restoring it from, if you were not using mysqldump then?
>I have done the above several times, and its always backed it up.

This is probably more of an explanation than you require, but I'm going
to give it anyway.  :-)  Back a couple of years ago, I was looking for a
database program that I could use in Linux.  The database that I'm
speaking about in this thread was originally created in Microsoft
Access.  At that time, it was the last hurdle that kept me regularly
going into Windows on my home computer.

I read a bit about MySQL and since I had taken a basic DB2 course a
number of years ago, I figured that I could get the database into MySQL
by exporting it as a text file and then using that to create the MySQL
database.  So, that tells you that I am not a database guru by any means.

Up until now, what I needed to do in MySQL, I could do just fine and
never even knew about mysqldump until recently.  As I previously stated,
I've only been using Gentoo since September.  When I used to use FC4,
all I ever did was make a copy of the database files that had the
extensions of .MYI, .MYD and .frm and then when I needed to because of
an upgrade where I wiped my system, I would just create a directory in
the appropriate place that was named after the database and then copy
these files back into the directory.  Then, all I would have to do was
set up the appropriate permissions for access and I could use the
database.  This is how I did it to get the database into Gentoo
originally as well.

This works and is not a big deal.  As I said, I'm just curious if there
is a way to fix things so that my database will be backed up properly
with the mysqldump process that is run when upgrading.  As I also
stated, I haven't had the chance to try dumping the existing database
alone using mysqldump.

Regards,

Colleen