On 3/31/22 10:17 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
I do know that the DHCP protocol supports adding additional options / definitions / parameters (?term?) to specify ... static routes.

In case others are interested in this, a few pointers about using it.

ISC's DHCP server has two options for advertising routes that clients should install;

   subnet ... netmask ... {
      option cidr-static-route ...;
      ms-static-route ...;
   }

Both *-static-route options use the same format and the format took a little bit to wrap my head around. It consists of sets of <netmask length>, followed by the <network bits>, followed by the router. E.g.

   option cidr-static-route 10, 100, 64, 192, 0, 2, 123, 0, 192, 0, 2, 1;

That says:

 - 100.64.0.0/10 is reachable via 192.0.2.123
 - 0/0 is reachable via 192.0.2.1

ProTip: Go ahead and add the default gateway 0/0 route to the *-static-route entries as some clients ignore the option routers entry when *-static-route option is present.

I have multiple macOS, iOS, Windows 10, Linux, and other esoteric things correctly using a route to a lab / sandbox subnet via a system that isn't the LAN's default gateway.

Finally: This seems to be a well defined DHCP standard, but seemingly not well known option by the various people that I've discussed this with.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die