On Friday, 17 June 2022 12:19:58 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday, 17 June 2022 09:55:17 BST Michael wrote:

> > Is StartPage to be trusted, anymore than all the rest mass surveillance
> > corporates?
>
> I don't know; is that what they do? Have you looked at https://
> eu.startpage.com/ ?

They were bought out by a US advertising company 3 years ago and for more than
a decade have not had had an independent audit on the way data privacy is
handled.  Statements provided by the CEO attempting to assuage users'
nervousness on the new ownership structure and its impact on privacy, appear
to be an exercise in doublethink:

https://old.reddit.com/r/StartpageSearch/comments/djshn3/
hello_reddit_startpage_mod_team/

http://techrights.org/2019/11/04/startpage-dogpile-webcrawler-metacrawler/

I'm not saying they're any worse than all the other contenders in this space,
but I do wonder if there is such a think as a search engine which respects
users' privacy (... asking for a friend).