On Sunday, 19 June 2022 18:22:34 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2022-06-19, Francisco Ares <fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just for the sake of preventing a future failure, besides personal
> > files (minimum and obvious) the "world" file and the binary packages,
> > built along with the package installation, what else should I backup
> > so that I would be able to quickly restore the same full working
> > Gentoo in a new hardware without having to work from stage3 up? The
> > portage tree is one of those items, for sure. But what else?
>
> Make a backup copy of everything under /etc.
>
> I used to try to backup individual /etc/... files that I would need,
> but I always forgot something.
>
> --
> Grant

Yes, besides /var/lib/portage/world and /etc/ you may also want to back up
your /boot and kernel config, assuming the hardware (MoBo & peripherals) is the
same (same drivers).  I wouldn't bother backing up portage, a resync will
download it afresh.  You might want to save /distfiles if you're on a slow
Internet link, but it has to be a copy of the current versions, otherwise the
latest version of each package source will have to be downloaded anyway.

If you're running databases you'll also want to keep a backup of the
respective /var/lib/*sql directory and if you're running a webserver /var/www/
* - but you would be aware of the need to keep a fresh backup of all this data
anyway.