On 7/14/22 9:56 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
That is true, but it is also true about the current setup as that also gives root access. I get the impression that Joost is looking for a more convenient approach that does not reduce security, which is true here...

I'm all for being /more/ secure, especially when doing so can be made to appear to be /simpler/ for the end user.

I think the quintessential example of this is authenticating to sudo with SSH keys via SSH agent forwarding. It eliminates the password prompt or the NOPASSWD: option. Either way, you have better security posture (always authenticated) and / or users have a better experience (no password prompt).

Well, almost true.

Please elaborate.

I consider it fairly difficult for non-root users to get a copy of the /etc/shadow file on most systems. Conversely, SSH private key files tend to ... leak / be forgotten.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die