On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:39:28 -0500, Denis wrote:

> > Getting the obvious out of the way first, do you have free space
> > on /usr/portage?
>
> Neil - I doubt that could be a problem.  I have 20 GB allocated to
> /usr partition alone!  I think portage couldn't have filled all that
> up

It could if you don't clean out /usr/portage/distfiles. My distfiles
directory is 7.5GB (I must get round to cleaning it out sometime) and
packages is quite large too. add in all the other stuff in /usr and
filling 20GB is conceivable, although not particularly likely. how much
free space does it have?

> I think hard drive failure is a possibility, although it's kind of
> funny that the failure should be limited to just that /usr partition!
> Or does that happen sometimes?

As with many things, the most used parts wear out first :(

--
Neil Bothwick

Quick!! Act as if nothing has happened!