Hello,

On Thu, 18 Aug 2022, Dale wrote:
>Rich Freeman wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 18, 2022 at 2:04 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Part. #     Size        Partition Type            Partition Name
>>>             1007.0 KiB  free space
>>>    1        9.1 TiB     Linux filesystem          10Tb
>>>             1007.5 KiB  free space
>>>

>>> I'm not sure why there seems to be two alignment spots.  Is that
>>> normal?  Already, there is almost 1TB lost somewhere.
>> 10 TB = 9.09495 TiB.  You aren't missing much of anything.
[..]
>Well, I realize it would be less than advertised but I just want to
>maximize it as much as I can.  I found the -m option for the file system
>a good while back and it saves a lot on these larger drives.  Since this
>is a external drive, no point in reserving any root space, since root
>will likely never access it after the file system is put on it.

Also, if you're using ext2/3/4, there's the preset, i.e. if you're
rather sure about what kind of data is going to be on there, you
can tune it so that it reserves more or less place for metadata like
inodes, which can be another bit.

I made some experiments with a temp-repurposed swapfile of 2051M size:

Output of 'df -m':
1M-blocks  Used Available   Inodes   mke2fs-options used
2016    67      1847        131072    -j -t ext4
2016    67      1949        131072    -j -t ext4 -m 0
2048    67      1878        2048      -j -t ext4 -T largefile
2048    67      1981        2048          -j -t ext4 -T largefile -m 0

So, defaults uses about 1.7% of the space for metadata, and -T
largefile only about 0.15% of the space. Of course, there are rather
few inodes with '-T largefile'. But if you want to put basically only
some big videos on there, 2048 inodes seems a lot for a mere 2G of
space ;) This should scale linearly (in steps) for bigger devices and
can amount to quite some more space.

Anyway, see /etc/mke2fs.conf, 'man mke2fs' and 'man mke2fs.conf for
details.

I've done this in the past and got bitten by too few inodes, but you
can get around that for "inode-hogs" like news-spools etc. by using a
loop-filesystem with different parameters or a different fs. Just
beware: reiserfs on reiserfs is a recipie for desaster.

HTH,
-dnh

--
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley:
LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.