On 9/18/22 1:26 AM, n952162 wrote:
I want to ssh over my openvpn connection, and I can't do it, the connection times out.

IMHO the first, second, and third thing to try when OpenSSH clients fail for some reason is `-v`, `-v -v`, and `-v -v -v` in your ssh command(s).

That will almost always give you some sort of indication of the next place to start looking.

That being said, -- assuming routing is good -- I would also question an MTU issue. The symptoms of this are OpenSSH establishes the TCP connection that carries the data and starts negotiating the SSH protocol but fails part way through and starts timing out when big packets are sent but never make it to the other end.

As Michael alluded to, trying to SSH from the local gateway to the remote gateway can be a little tricky to configure as there can be a couple of source IPs (local inside & local outside) as well as a couple of destination IPs (remote outside & remote inside). Tunnels usually cover local inside communicating with remote inside but fail to account for any outside addresses. -- N.B. this can usually be addressed with a judicious route statement that specifies which source address to use.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die