On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 05:53:08PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
>   One of the last few items on the laptop setup.  I emerged hibernate
> and copied over the /etc/hibernate/ directory from my desktop.  When I
> try to hibernate the laptop, I get...
>
> [thimk][root][~] hibernate
> /bin/echo: write error: No such device
>
> ...with a beep, and the machine comes back.

  PEBKAC++.  Multiple facepalm.  I outdid myself here.  I got lazy on
the laptop install by copying config files from another machine... and
it came back to bite me.  Here was my /etc/fstab ...

/dev/sda1     /boot       vfat     defaults,noatime                    1 2
/dev/sda2     /           ext3     noatime,nodiratime,async,user_xattr 0 1
/dev/sda3     none        swap     sw                                  0 0

...but, but, but... this is a used Lenovo laptop, too old for UEFI, with
only 75 gigs of disk and I've only got two partitions on it.  I
corrected fstab to the proper...

/dev/sda1     /           ext3     noatime,nodiratime,async,user_xattr 0 1
/dev/sda2     none        swap     sw                                  0 0

  I'm surprised that LILO booted at all with the bad fstab.  There were
only some error message lines that scrolled by really fast at bootup.
Otherwise a perfectly normal bootup.  I finally got around to stopping
the laptop in mid-bootup tonight, and looking at the error message.
Something about fsck.ext3 not finding a magic superblock on /dev/sda2.
This prompted me to dig through the system and find the problem.

  And, oh yeah, hibernate now works with one quirk.  I assume hibernate
was reading the swap partition name from /etc/fstab for hibernation.  Of
course it got "write error: No such device" when trying to save to a
non-existant swap partition /dev/sda3.  The one quirk is that bootup
comes from the first menu item in LILO, unless I manually over-ride.  I
can parse the boot image name from /proc/cmdline and feed it into "lilo -R".
Then I'll have to insert it into the hibernate shutdown scripts.

--
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
frames, the first Browser Wars.  Searching for pages with AltaVista,