On 2022-10-26, Matt Connell <m...@connell.tech> wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-10-25 at 21:31 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> Google led me to several pages where the problem was not having gvfs
>> installed. I do have gvfs installed, but I suspect it's broken. I get
>> the impression that
>>
>>     $ gio list sftp://<host>/<path>
>>
>> is supposed to work, but that too says "Operation not supported".

Apparently, that error is cause by lack of a DBUS session. I just
happened to stumble across a posting somewhere by somebody who had the
same problem. How they figured out that was the problem remains a
mystery.

[Is there a GNOME development group dedicated to making error messages
as meaningless as possible? If yes, then they're doing a stellar job.]

> I don't use pcmanfm, but I do have gvfs installed.  Trying to "gio list
> sftp://host"; returns "The specified location is not mounted", so at
> least my behavior is different.

After launching a dbus session with

 $ dbus-launch bash

And then running 'gio list' in the bash instance that is created above,
I get the "location is not mounted error"

A subsequent gio mount command then succeeds

 $ gio mount sftp://<host>/<path>

After which the "gio list" command works as expected.

When I run pcmanfm-qt from that same bash instance, sftp URLs work.

GNOME: making life overly complicated since 1999!

--
Grant