Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I've pretty much reached a limit on my backups.  I'm up to a 16TB hard
> drive for one and even that won't last long.  Larger drives are much
> more costly.  A must have NAS is quickly approaching.  I've been
> searching around and find some things confusing.  I'm hoping someone can
> clear up that confusion.  I'm also debating what path to travel down.
> I'd also like to keep costs down as well.  That said, I don't mind
> paying a little more for one that would offer a much better option.
>
> Path one, buy a NAS, possibly used, that has no drives.  If possible, I
> may even replace the OS that comes on it or upgrade if I can.  I'm not
> looking for fancy, or even RAID.  Just looking for a two bay NAS that
> will work.  First, what is a DAS?  Is that totally different than a
> NAS?  From what I've found, a DAS is not what I'm looking for since I
> want a ethernet connection and the ability to control things over the
> network.  It seems DAS lacks that feature but not real sure.  I'm not
> sure I can upgrade the software/OS on a DAS either.
>
> Next thing.  Let's say a NAS comes with two 4TB drives for a total of
> 8TB of capacity from the factory, using LVM or similar software I
> assume.  Is that limited to that capacity or can I for example replace
> one or both drives with for example 14TB drives for a total of 28TBs of
> capacity?  If one does that, let's say it uses LVM, can I somehow move
> data as well or is that beyond the abilities of a NAS?  Could it be done
> inside my computer for example?  Does this vary by brand or even model?
>
> Path two, I've researched building a NAS using a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB as
> another option.  They come as parts, cases too, but the newer and faster
> models of Raspberry Pi 4 with more ram seem to work pretty well.  The
> old slower models with small amounts of ram don't fair as well.  While I
> want a descent speed, I'm not looking for or expecting it to be
> blazingly fast.  I just wonder, if from a upgrade and expansion point of
> view, if building a NAS would be better.  I've also noticed, it seems
> all Raspberry things come with a display port.  That means I could hook
> up a monitor and mouse/keyboard when needed.  That could be a bonus.
> Heck, I may can even put some sort of Gentoo on that thing.  :-D
>
> One reason I'm wanting to go this route, I'm trying to keep it small and
> able to fit inside my fire safe.  I plan to buy a media type safe that
> is larger but right now, it needs to fit inside my current safe.  Most
> of the 2 bay NAS or a Raspberry Pi based NAS are fairly small.  They not
> much bigger than the three external hard drives and a couple bare drives
> that currently occupy my safe.
>
> One thing I'd like to have no matter what path I go down, the ability to
> encrypt the data.  My current backup drives are encrypted and I'd like
> to keep it that way.  If that is possible to do.  I suspect the
> [...]

It does appear that several people are making it so NAS boxes can be
easily built by us nerdy types and not be huge.  Things are a bit
interesting right now for hardware and such.  Some parts are expensive,
hard to find or just plain unavailable.  Still, I suspect that this will
get better later on.  The good thing, people are working on this. There
is interest in having a option.

I may in the meantime have to split up my large directory and the
resulting backup.  Split it in half or something.  I just bought a 16TB
hard drive.  It's over 90% full already.  That said, my downloading is
slowing down quite a lot.  It will last a while.  I may setup a old
system as a NAS and just keep it in a outbuilding for the time being.
Should offer me some protection at least.

If anyone runs up on some info that might relate to this, please share.
Maybe something new will come out that we don't know about now. If I do
build something, I'll likely post and share what I used, how much effort
was involved and the end results. Maybe this will help others as well.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I currently have a spare 14TB, 8TB and 6TB hard drive not in
use.  That's 28TBs available.  That's a good start on a NAS as far as
drives go.  Currently in use in external enclosures for backups, 16Tb,
8TB and a 6TB hard drive.