Hi,

Wol <antli...@youngman.org.uk> writes:

> On 15/02/2023 15:51, Daniel Frey wrote:

>>> Should be less, since you already have portage installed but not
>>> necessarily eselect-whatever.
>>>
>> I didn't even know eselect-whatever was even an option until this
>> post... It's not something I've ever used.
>> It does (at least to me) make sense for the package manager to enforce these
>> selections rather than some optional tool though.
>>
> what are they going to do about "eselect kernel set ..." then?
>
> It's bad enough depclean deleting the active kernel if you don't watch out,
> without something deciding to install a non-existent kernel and deleting the
> live one :-)

This is part of the motivation behind the dist-kernel project.  See:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Distribution_Kernel

As an anecdote, I haven't thought about what my kernel and modules are
doing in a very long time, and I use multiple out of tree modules.

Happy hacking and have a great day.
--
Arsen Arsenović