On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 10:56:22 AM CET Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Not long ago I read that we should allow 2GB RAM for every emerge job - that
> is, we should divide our RAM size by 2 to get the maximum number of
> simultaneous jobs. I'm trying to get that right, but I'm not there yet.
>
> I have these entries in make.conf:
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=16 --load-average=32 --autounmask=n --quiet-
> unmerge-warn --ke>
> MAKEOPTS="-j16"
>
> Today, though, I saw load averages going up to 72. Can anyone suggest better
> values to suit my 24 threads and 64GB RAM?

One other item I missed in the replies:
"--load-average" is also a valid option for make.

If you want to keep the load down, I would suggest adding this to MAKEOPTS as
well:

MAKEOPTS="--jobs=16 --load-average=32"

I write the options out full because I had some weird errors in the past
because the "-j" wasn't handled correctly at some point.

--
Joost