On Thu, 16 Feb 2023 07:11:12 -0500,
Rich Freeman wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 6:50 AM John Covici <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> >
> > The sending computer has two nics, eno1 for the internal network and
> > eno2 is on the internet.  So, my netconsole  stanza said
> > netconsole=@192.168.0.1/eno1,@192.168.0.2
>
> Is CONFIG_NETCONSOLE enabled for your kernel?
>
> I'm not sure if the kernel will assign the names eno1/2 to interfaces
> - I think those might be assigned by udev, which probably won't have
> run before the kernel parses this instruction.  You might need to use
> eth0/1 - and your guess is as good as mine which one corresponds to
> which.
>
> If it isn't one of those it might not hurt to put the target mac
> address in there just to be safe.  I haven't needed that but maybe
> there are situations where ARP won't work (it would be needed if you
> are crossing subnets, in which case you'd need the gateway MAC).  Keep
> in mind that this is a low-level function that doesn't use any
> routing/userspace/etc.  It was designed to be robust in the event of a
> PANIC and to be able to be enabled fairly early during boot, so it
> can't rely on the sorts of things we just take for granted with
> networking.
>

> > The box which is at 192.168.0.2 has netcat (windows version) and I
> > tried the following:
> > netcat -u -v -l 192.168.0.2 6666 and I also tried 192.168.0.1 6666
> > which is the ip address of the linux console which I am trying to
> > debug.
> >
> > I also tried 0.0.0.0 6666 which did not work either, but I think the
> > windows firewall was blocking, and I did fix that, but did not try the
> > 0.0.0.0 after that.
> >

> So I'm pretty sure that netcat requires listing the destination IP,
> since it has to open a socket to listen on that IP.  You can
> optionally set a source address/port in which case it will ignore
> anything else, but by default it will accept packets from any source.
>
> I was definitely going to suggest making sure that a windows firewall
> wasn't blocking the inbound connections.  That's fairly default
> behavior on windows.

hmmm, but what should I use for the source ip, I only assign those
when I bring the interface up when I start the interface -- I have
something like this:
[Unit]
Description=Network Connectivity for %i
Documentation=man:ip
Before=network.target
Wants=network.target
BindsTo=sys-subsystem-net-devices-%i.device
After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-%i.device
[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes
EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/network@%i
ExecStart=/bin/ip link set dev %i up
ExecStart=/bin/ip addr add ${address}/${netmask} broadcast ${broadcast} dev %i
ExecStart=-/bin/bash -c "test -n ${gateway} && /bin/ip route add default via
${gateway}"
ExecStart=-/bin/bash -c "test -f /etc/conf.d/postup@%i.sh&&/bin/bash  -c
/etc/conf.d/postup@%i.sh"
ExecStop=/bin/ip addr flush dev %i
ExecStop=/bin/ip link set dev %i down
ExecStop=-/bin/bash -c "test -f /etc/conf.d/postdown@%i.sh&&/bin/bash  -c
/etc/conf.d/postdown@%i.sh"

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

and the  /etc/conf.d/network@eno1  is

address=192.168.0.1
netmask=24
broadcast=192.168.0.255
So, before I run this, I don't think the card has any ip address, does
it?

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una