John Jolet wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Jeff Smelser wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 03 November 2005 07:49 am, C. Beamer wrote:
>>

>>> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through  socket
>>> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)

>>> I do have the file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
>>>

>> Thats a connection refused message.. Make sure the proper mysql
>> files are
>> there, and you may need to restart it to load your versions of the
>> grant
>> tables.
>>
> you  might also shut down mysql, verify that all processes are gone,
> and make sure that file is gone.  that file should ONLY exist while
> mysql is running.

Both of the above tips helped.  I'm not sure what happened, but I think
that mysql was not shutting down properly.  Anyway, I finally gave up,
unmerged the upgraded mysql depcleaned and then deleted a few files that
did not get removed with the unmerge process, did a fresh install of
mysql and everything seems to be working again.

Just wanted to say thanks!  :-)

Regards,

Colleen