On Tue, 2023-04-11 at 09:34 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> cfg-update is a bit crufty, but its main advantage is support for
> 3-way merges, which are usually automated.  So if you change one line
> in the middle of a config file you won't have to manually go through
> diffs to re-apply the change every time it is updated.  If the section
> immediately around the line you edited didn't change, then it will
> just accept the upstream changes while maintaining your customization.

Neat.  Thanks for the explanation.  I might make use of cfg-update from
time to time after all.

I usually try not to edit any files that are 'managed' by packages, but
sometimes it is unavoidable (eg. no thing.conf.d directory support), so
I wind up having to either accept the change and then re-edit it, or
zap the change and allow the file to get stale as the package is
updated, leading back to the first scenario regardless.