Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 11:54 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > <<< SNIP >>>
> > > I guess I don't understand why you would put Knoppix in the boot
> > > partition vs somewhere else. Is this for some sort of recovery
> > > process you're comfortable with vs recovering from a bootable DVD?
> > >
> > > - Mark
> >
> > I'm wanting to be able to boot something from the hard drive in the
> > event the OS itself won't boot.  The other day I had to dig around and
> > find a bootable USB stick and also found a DVD.  Ended up with the DVD
> > working best.  I already have memtest on /boot.  Thing is, I very rarely
> > use it.  ;-)
>
> So in the scenario you are suggesting, is grub working, giving you a
> boot choice screen, and your new Gentoo install is not working so
> you want to choose Knoppix to repair whatever is wrong with
> Gentoo?
>
> If that's the case why shoehorn Knoppix into the boot partition
> vs just give it its own partition?

Dang Mark, I hadn't thought of that.  <slaps forehead>  See, that's why
you need to stick around here.  ROFL  I wonder, can I do that with the
Gentoo LiveGUI too??  Anyone know?  I may need help getting Grub to see
those tho.  I let it do it's thing with my kernels but I have no idea on
pointing it to something else.

Given I have a 500GB drive, I got plenty of space.  Heck, a 10GB
partition each is more than enough for either Knoppix or LiveGUI.  I
could even store info on there about drive partitions and scripts that I
use a lot.  Jeez, that's a idea.

Thanks.

Dale

P. S. Extra happy there.  ;-)