Am Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 12:28:01PM -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 11:26 AM Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> >
> >   Now that the (no)multilib problem in my latest update has been solved,
> > I have a somewhat minor complaint.  Can I get etc-update to skip certain
> > files?  My latest emerge world wanted to "update"...
> >
> > 1) /etc/hosts (1)
> > 2) /etc/inittab (1)
> > 3) /etc/mtab (1)
> > 4) /etc/conf.d/consolefont (1)
> > 5) /etc/conf.d/hwclock (1)
> > 6) /etc/default/grub (1)
> > 7) /etc/ssh/sshd_config (1)
> >
> > ...hosts is critical for networking.  consolefont allows me tp use the
> > true text console with a readable font, etc, etc.  I have my reasons
> > for making certain settings, and keeping them that way.
> >
> In my experience with all distros I go outside the distro for this
> sort of issue. Put a copy somewhere, white a little script that
> does a diff on the files you feel are important enough and run
> a cron job hourly that looks for any differences.

Isn’t that exactly what etc-update does? IIRC (my last Gentoo update was a
few months ago), I select one of the files, and it lets me view a diff in
vim (configurable) of my old version and the new one from the update. Then I
can either merge the two files right in vim, or elect to keep the new or old
file entirely.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

“I want to be free!” said the string puppet and cut its strings.