On 2023-04-27 09:34-0400 Matt Connell <m...@connell.tech> wrote:

> On Thu, 2023-04-27 at 08:23 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> > Ext4 seems to be used by well-known binary distros.
>
> There's a reason for this.  It can fulfill all but the most niche or
> intensive roles, is robustly supported, well-tested both in
> development and through wide use in the field, and generally "just
> works".
>
> It is a great general purpose file system, for general purpose
> computing.  Standard LAMP stack, desktop, laptop, HTPC, etc. are all
> satisfied by ext4
>
> Since it is so broadly used and supported, you are guaranteed to find
> documentation for whatever feature or issue you discover.

i agree with all of the above.

> > What would others recommend ?
>
> For general purpose computing/serving, in a non-scaling, non-
> performance-critical, non-experimental scenario, ext4
>
> Unless[1] you are specifically:
>
> * learning/exploring/experimenting
> * storing billions of tiny files
> * storing 1TB+ individual files
> * not using any kind of backups[2]

btrfs and zfs have some useful features for normal use cases. the
transparent compression can save a lot of space and even increase speed
in some cases, the checksumming guarantees that you will never get a
corrupt file and snapshots make backups and rollbacks easier.

however, they do need a bit more maintenance (described in their
respective wiki articles).

> --
>
> [1] I'm certain that there are other use cases for which ext4 is not
> an optimal choice, but I don't have first-hand experience with them.
>
> [2] I'm aware that zfs and others can do snapshots for recovery and
> "roll back" but there is no replacement for versioned hard copy
> backups

you can send snapshots to other drives or computers, either as full or
incremental backups. i'd say it's pretty much the same. 😉