On Wednesday, 5 July 2023 22:46:33 BST mad.scientist.at.la...@tutanota.com
wrote:

...>8

> Jul 5, 2023, 11:50 by grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com:

I don't have that posting by Grant here.

> > On 2023-07-05, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> >> This version of memtest86 ran to completion after going through the whole
> >> 64GB, and stopped with a success message.
> >
> > That's a pretty good sign, but I have seen memory that made it through
> > one complete test pass and failed on subsequent ones.

So I ran another test last night, with the same result.

In fact, I can't remember ever having a memory problem exposed by a memory
test.

> >> Over the last...oh, many months, I've noticed an occasional package in a
> >> large batch failing for no obvious reason, only to succeed on its own.
> >
> > What sort of failure?  I've found that inconsistent/random gcc
> > internal errors or gcc segfaults have usually been due to failing
> > RAM. [Though in one case I remember, it was due to a failing SCSI disc
> > controller card -- back when that was a thing.]

Various minor things, such as some component not being found.

> > It might also be due to a failing disk, but there are usually good
> > indications of that in dmesg output and in SMART logs before it starts
> > to affect other things.

Hm. I'll have a look around the various tools.

Thanks for the ideas.

--
Regards,
Peter.