On 5/9/23 22:58, Walter Dnes wrote:
On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 08:04:19AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
On Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:54:38 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

   It looks like remote-mounting /var/cache/distfiles might be the
quick-n-dirty solution like Alan suggested.  And I never have a need to
have emerge run simultaneously on more than one machine.
It seems the simplest suitable solution for your needs.
   And while we're at it, howsabout "emerge --sync" on one host, and then
remote-mounting /var/db/repos/gentoo ?

Similarly - I was mounting a single location on moosefs (network filesystem) for ~15 hosts.  One host updates using --sync.  One buildhost for each architecture building packages.  Distfiles are handled the same way. Then "emerge -k" on the remainder checking for packages that needed an actual build.  If none, parallel merge (via ansible) or else single builds.  Resulting packages are also stored remotely per arch (various amd64, arm32, arm64 etc.)

Working well for a few years, but I am in the process of converting to nfs with a similar structure as I have decommissioned the moosefs system and many machines that are no longer needed.  A single machine will handle built packages, distfiles and repos which are mounted on the other systems via nfs. I will look into apt-cacher-ng as I was a fan of http-replicator until it was deprecated.

BillK