Am Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 12:50:20PM +0100 schrieb Wols Lists:

> Bear in mind a lot of systems are thermally limited and can't run at full
> pelt anyway ...

Usually those are space-constrained systems like mini PCs or laptops.
Typical Desktops shouldn’t be limited; even the stock CPU coolers should be
capable of dissipating all heat, as long as the case has enough air flow.

> You might find it's actually better (and more efficient) to run at lower
> the CPU regularly goes into thermal throttling under heavy load, and also
> that using a couple of cores lightly is more efficient than using one core
> heavily.

At least very current CPUs tend to go into so high clock speeds that they
become quite inefficient. If you set a 105 W Ryzen 7700X to 65 W eco mode in
the BIOS (which means that the actual maximum intake goes down from 144 W to
84 W), you reduce consuption by a third, but only lose ~15 % in performance.

At very low figures (15 W), Ryzen 5000 and 7000 CPUs are almost as efficient
as Apple M1.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Einstein is dead.  Newton is dead.  I’m feeling sick, too.