On 9/21/23 12:30, Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 5:03 PM Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:45:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

    > Not 100% back in the gentoo groove yet, forget some basic tools.
    >
    > Something pulled in ruby, I know not what.
    >
    > What commands show me what installed packages have ruby as a
    dependency?

    emerge -cav ruby

Thanks Neil,

but that is the wrong way wrong.
Why do you think so?  Trying to remove ruby will tell you why portage refuses to do so, and that reason is any installed packages that depend on it.  This differs from using equery, which will tell you every package that depends on ruby, whether or not it is installed.  Using -d instead of -a saves you from typing "N" just in case it IS willing to unmerge it.