Mark Knecht wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > On Sat, Sep 23, 2023 at 5:05 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> > > If you need more info, let me know.  If you know the command, that
> might
> > > help too.  Just in case it is a command I'm not familiar with.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Dale
> > >
> > > :-)  :-)
> >
> > You can use the iperf command to do simple raw speed testing.
> >
> > For instance, on your server open a terminal through ssh and run
> >
> > iperf -s
> >
> > It should tell you the server is listening.
> >
> > On your desktop machine run
> >
> > iperf -c 192.168.86.119
> >
> > (replace with the IP of your server)
> >
> > It runs for 5-10 seconds and then reports what it sees
> > as throughput.
> >
> > Remember to Ctrl-C the server side when you're done.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Mark
> >

> > I had to install those.  On Gentoo it's called iperf3 but it works.
> Anyway, this is what I get from running the command on the NAS box to
> my main rig.
> >

> > root@nas:~# iperf -c 10.0.0.4
> > tcp connect failed: Connection refused
> > Client connecting to 10.0.0.4, TCP port 5001
> > TCP window size: -1.00 Byte (default)
> > [  1] local 0.0.0.0 port 0 connected with 10.0.0.4 port 5001
> > root@nas:~#
> >

> > This is when I try to run from my main rig to the NAS box.
> >

> > root@fireball / # iperf3 -c 10.0.0.7
> > iperf3: error - unable to connect to server - server may have
> stopped running or use a different port, firewall issue, etc.:
> Connection refused
> > root@fireball / #
> >

> > I took what you said to mean to run from the NAS box.  I tried both
> just in case I misunderstood your meaning by server.  ;-)
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Dale
>
> I thought the instructions were clear but let's try again.
>
> When using iperf YOU have to set up BOTH ends of the path, so:
>
> 1) On one end - let's say it's your NAS server - open a terminal. In
> that terminal type
>
> mark@plex:~$ iperf -s
> Server listening on TCP port 5001
> TCP window size:  128 KByte (default)
>
> 2) Then, on your desktop machine that wants to talk to the NAS server
> type this command,
> replacing my service IP with your NAS server IP
>
> mark@science2:~$ iperf -c 192.168.86.119
> Client connecting to 192.168.86.119, TCP port 5001
> TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
> [  1] local 192.168.86.43 port 40320 connected with 192.168.86.119
> port 5001
> [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
> [  1] 0.0000-10.0808 sec   426 MBytes   354 Mbits/sec
> mark@science2:~$
>
> In this case, over my wireless network, I'm getting about 354Mb/S.
> Last time
> I checked it I hooked a cable between the 2 rooms I got about 900Mb/s.

Oh.  My pepper sauce was getting loud and my eyes were watery.  Now that
I got that done, I can see better after opening the doors a few
minutes.  This is what I get now.  My NAS box, running it first:

root@nas:~# iperf -s
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  128 KByte (default)

>From main rig, running NAS box command first and it appeared to be waiting.

root@fireball / # iperf3 -c 10.0.0.7
iperf3: error - unable to connect to server - server may have stopped
running or use a different port, firewall issue, etc.: Connection refused
root@fireball / #

So, it appears to be waiting but my main rig isn't getting it.  Then it
occurred my VPN might be affecting this somehow.  I stopped it just in
case.  OK, same thing.  I did run the one on the NAS box first, since I
assume it needs to be listening when I run the command on my main rig.
After stopping the VPN, I ran both again.

Just so you know the machine is reachable, I am ssh'd into the NAS box
and I also have it mounted and copying files over with rsync.  Could my
router be blocking this connection?  I kinda leave it at the default
settings.  Read somewhere those are fairly secure.

I'm working in garden a bit so may come and go at times.  I'm sure you
doing other things too.  :-D

Dale

:-)  :-)