Den 23.09.2023 15:42, skrev Dale:
Wols Lists wrote:
On 19/09/2023 10:13, Dale wrote:
That's a interesting way to come up with passwords tho.  I've seen that
is a few whodunit type shows.  Way back in the old days, they had some
interesting ways of coding messages.  Passwords are sort of similar.
Back when we were busy conquering India ...

The story goes of a General trying to send a message back of his
latest conquest, but he didn't want to use codes because he had a
suspicion the Indians could read them if his messenger was captured.

It appears the story is apocryphal, but the message he sent read
"peccavi".

https://www.ft.com/content/49036e66-ac48-11e8-94bd-cba20d67390c

Cheers,
Wol

It seems that requires a subscription.  Oh well.
Try https://www.euronews.com/culture/2023/02/17/culture-re-view-peccavi-a-misattributed-quote-and-the-british-raj
Probably ripped off from FT, but I was  curious :-) .