On 2023-10-07, Peter Böhm wrote:

> Am Samstag, 7. Oktober 2023, 08:28:01 CEST schrieb Valmor de Almeida:
>
>> -> mount /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt/gentoo
>> mout: /mnt/gentoo: can't read superblock on /dev/nvme0n1p4.
>
> Maybe we need to dig a little deeper. Maybe you are using LVM (or have an
> encrypted root partition; or both).
>
>> -> dmesg
>>
>> [snip]
>> nvme nvme0: controller is down; will reset: ....
>> nvme nvme0: Does your device have a faulty power saving mode enabled?
>> [snip]
>> EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p4): unable to read superblock
>>
>> I am still able to boot with the old kernel 6-1-41-gentoo.
>> Does this mean I may have a hardware problem with the NVMe drive?
>
> I dont think you have a hardware problem because with 6.41 you have no
> problems.
>
> For me the following questions would arise:
>
> a) How did you install the kernel 6.1.41 ? (genkernel; dist-kernel; manual
> approach)
> b) Did you make any kernel configuration changes in your 6.1.41 ?
> c) Do you use a bootmanager ? (which ?; grub, refind ?)
> d) How did you update to 6.1.53 ? (every step)
>
> To better understand your system, I would look at the output of
> "parted -l" (complete),
> "dmesg" (complete),
> "lspci -k" and
> "emerge --info"
> (after you have booted 6.1.41).
>
> To clarify all this here via the mailing list might be difficult; therefore I
> would suggest to create a thread in our Gentoo support forum:
>
> https://forums.gentoo.org/
>
> (I am there also; but we have also a lot of great experts there)
>
> If you create a thread in our forum, then please use wgetpaste for big files:
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wgetpaste

I'm not sure it's fair to say it'll be easier in the webforum. For the
files, if you go the wgetpaste/"pastebin" route, you can add addresses
to e-mail messages too (although that creates the inconvenience of not
being in the message and requiring a separate fetch).

Does the gentoo webforum actually support *threads*, and not just
*topics*? A lot of webforum software packages seem to support only the
concept of topics, which would mean conversations are actually easier to
navigate via mailing list or network news (i.e. gmane).

It is worth it mentioning the issue there, though, as somebody there who
is not reading this list might know what is going on.

--
Nuno Silva