On Monday, 20 November 2023 17:44:48 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 11/20/23 01:28, Michael wrote:
> > On Monday, 20 November 2023 01:25:09 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> >> I transferred my old Sata SSD Intel-SSD from my ATOM computer to Iintel
> >> i5,
> >> Asus H610 motherboard.
> >>
> >> Bios recognized both drives:
> >>
> >> AHCI: Sata6G_1: Intel SSDSC2BF480A5 (this is the transferred drive
> >> bootable) and
> >> NVME: Samsung SSD 970 (this is new one not formated)
> >>
> >> But under Bios Boot Menu my transferred intel ssd is not recognized as
> >> bootable drive. Any solutions?
> >> Is it a Boot Menu Setting?
> >> I can post a picture.
> >
> > The EFI boot on the MoBo must be set to Legacy Bios or EFI, depending on
> > the partition table type of your SSD (MBR Vs GPT).
> >
> > To set this you should enable the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) in
> > the
> > Boot Menu of the MoBo and then look into the Boot Configuration submenu
> > choices.
>
> The CSM (Compatibility Support Module) in the Boot Menu is greyed out.
> It is Asus h610i Motherboard, and according for CSM to be enabled it needs
> dedicated graphic card; I don't have one, using Intel i5 CPU graphic.

This is weird.  What does a dedicated graphics card have to do with the
partitioning scheme of a storage device?  :-/

I don't have access to your MoBo to know its quirks, so can't help with
specifics.

> Is it possible to boot strap and re-partition /boot sector so the
> motherboard will recognize it without dedicated graphic card?

The first thing to establish is if your SSD is using MBR partitioning, or GPT:

fdisk -l /dev/sda | grep 'Disklabel type'

will output "dos" for MBR, or "gpt" for GPT.  I suspect your SSD is using MBR.

You could convert the MBR to GPT, but ... there is a good chance of wiping the
disk and losing data.  Therefore, first create a full disk backup before you
attempt anything else.  Then also create a backup of your MBR for good measure
using dd, or sfdisk:

dd if=/dev/sda of=backup.mbr bs=512 count=1

or

sfdisk --dump /dev/sda > MBR_backup.txt

You can restore the above to get your existing disk with its existing MBR
partitions, if things do not work out as anticipated.

I am not aware of any scripts or automatic tools to do the MBR to GPT
conversion, but the approach you can use is to boot with a LiveUSB, convert
the partition table with gdisk[1] from MBR to GPT, recreate the partitions
with *exactly* the same start and finish sectors, make sure there is a FAT32
partition to be used as the UEFI boot partition and marked as partition type
EF00, before you install GRUB (or your bootloader) in this partition.

For a more detailed approach check the steps described by the developer of
gptfdisk[2].

[1] sys-apps/gptfdisk
[2] https://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/mbr2gpt.html