Sorry, I forgot to mention that.  The fans definitely run faster.  Which is
fortunate because checking with an IR thermometer on the CPU heatsink produces
more varied results than the internal sensor, but still  30-40° hotter.

Driver modules loaded by each distro don't seem substantially different.
Ubuntu has intel-spi loaded while Gentoo does not, but that's it for
differences from lspci.  I can look for other differences as well, but it
doesn't seem to be a difference in sensor calibration unfortunately.

Also of note, this same stage4 OS snapshot runs on other systems without
anything unusual happening, but this is the only configuration using the N97
processor.

LMP