On 2023-12-04, Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:

>> However, the "h264enc" package has a hard dependency on mplayer.
>
> Which I believe is not needed for mpv.  You can set:

The problem is not that h264enc is required by mplyaer, it's that the
h264enc package requires mplayer:

>From the h264enc ebuild
>[https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/media-video/h264enc/h264enc-10.4.7-r1.ebuild]:

    RDEPEND="media-video/mplayer[encode,x264]
        sys-apps/coreutils
        [...]
        sys-process/time"

> vo=gpu
> hwdec=auto
>
> or,
>
> hwdec=auto-safe
>
> in .config/mpv/mpv.conf and all should be good.  Check the mpv man page for
> "Actively supported hwdecs" to see what applies to your hardware.

I don't understand how that's relevent to h264enc's dependancy on
mplayer.

The solution is to probably replace the h264enc script (which requires
mplayer -- more specifically, it appears to require mencoder), with an
equivalent script which uses mpv or ffmpeg instead of mencoder for
transcoding.

FWIW, mpv doesn't have a separate "encoder" utilitity like mplayer
does. Instead, you just add some -o<???> "output" options to tell it
where to write the stream and what container/codec to use for output.

--
Grant