On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 02:54:06PM -0500, Philip Webb wrote

> IIRC we both live in/near Toronto, so no doubt Big Bad Bell is
> responsible.

  I'm currently on EBOX cable.  Bell bought them
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/bell-acquires-longueuil-based-internet-provider-ebox-819104090.html
but EBOX still operates as a separate brand.  After the purchase Bell is
now a TPIA customer of Rogers (giggle) for EBOX cable customers.  Bell
obviously doesn't like this and wants to route my traffic over their own
fibre so they don't have to pay Rogers.

> My notes tell me (set up Mutt in new machine ANB6) :
>
>   /etc/group : add '<username>' to 'ssmtp'

  Wierd; I've been running for years without that.  mutt passes email
to ssmtp which passes it on to the EBOX smtp server.

> and (authenticate for mail access) :
>
>   Send mail via Wifi : new procedure, as prev'ly no security needed ;
>    now CIN has to be told who it's dealing w.

  I think something similar is happening to me.  Because their networks
are probably still separate, the EBOX smtp server sees Bell fibre
traffic as coming from "an external network", requiring authentication.

>     'set ssl_starttls=yes
>      set ssl_force_tls=yes
>      set smtp_url="smtp://<username>@smtp.ca.inter.net:25"
>      set smtp_pass="<password>"'
>
> I don't know anything re Port 587 : how do I find out my port number ?

  Thanks for the settings.  From my Google searches, the ":25" in
"smtp_url" indicates port 25.  User posts on the EBOX DSLReports forum
all seem to talk about port 587 for fibre customers.  Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTP_Authentication says "generally on
port 587", so apparently it can work on other ports.  In your case, "if
it ain't broke, don't fix it".

> BTW I do recommend  ca.inter.net  (their name) for I/net + e-mail :
> I've used them happily for  15 years ; they are in Waterloo, Ont.

  As an incentive to go fibre, EBOX/Bell is offering me somewhat faster
fibre service for the same price I'm paying now.  My invoice for Dec
2023 is the same price as for Nov 2020, unlike Bell who constantly raise
prices.  I'd like to hang around if EBOX keeps their rates static.  I
checked the ca.inter.net website.  There are asterisks beside the
monthly price...  which goes up $10 after the first 12 months.

--
Roses are red
Roses are blue