On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 at 10:55, Adam Carter <adamcart...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just tried to install a new kernel using 'make install' only to find that
> the behaviour has changed and it appears to be running a bunch on
> installkernel stuff.
>
> 'make help' says
>   install - Install kernel using (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
>  (distribution) /sbin/installkernel or install to
>  $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo
>
> So I guess that I want the 'install to  $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo'
> behaviour that i'm used to. How to i get 'make install' to ignore
> /sbin/installkernel ?

I think 'make install' has always called installkernel, but this was
previously provided by sys-apps/debianutils. For reasons that I
haven't investigated too much, this is now 'forked' and provided by
the installkernel package, so as I understand it, having the
installkernel binary provides the behaviour that you're used to.

Regards,
Arve