Alan Grimes:
> I spent $450 for the most beautifulest printer ever made.

That is not true, because I own the most beautiful printer:)

> Absolutely suprimo HP laser jet network printer.

You didn't write what model, hard to help you then.

///

What I do is, well it is just me I guess:

0, print out a test page from the printers menu
1, check the printers network config and ping the printer
2, put the printer in postscript mode/emulation and send something
   simple as to it using lpr:

%A4: 210 297mm
%72 per tum, 72/25.4 per mm
/a 72 25.4 div def
a a scale
0.1 setlinewidth

 0 3 297 { 0 exch moveto 210 0 rlineto stroke } for

 0 3 210 { 0 moveto 0 297 rlineto stroke } for

showpage

3, if it can print postscript via lpr, then keep doing that and ignore
   cups.

///

 What messes things up is people pressing the wifi-button (if there is
 one) while on cable, which messes up the network config.

 If it works with MS-Windows, it can be autodetect (udns, avahi) is
 missing on your linux box. I usually set printers to fixed ip-address
 and add it to the local dns for easy access, so I shut down any udns
 thing; I like a quiet network.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar