On Sunday, 28 January 2024 19:17:06 GMT Thelma wrote:
> On 1/28/24 11:46, Michael wrote:
> > On Sunday, 28 January 2024 17:43:22 GMT Thelma wrote:
> >> Systems show Avahi-daemon status: started.
> >> but it I don't know how it helps me find a local printer.
> >>
> >> I'm puzzled as printers were working last week without any problems.
> >> I did not do any update or modification to the system but all of a sudden
> >> they stop working "Unable to locate printer"
> >>
> >> The solution was to change printer setting:
> >>
> >> lpd://BRN30055C898DF9/BINARY_P1
> >> lpd://brother-5370/BINARY_P1
> >>
> >> with:
> >> lpd://printer-IP-address/BINARY_P1
> >> lpd://printer-IP-address/BINARY_P1
> >>
> >> How to set  Avahi-daemon to start automatically deleted printer?
> >
> > I don't think avahi is needed unless you are printing from different
> > temporary clients and you want the printers to be automatically
> > discovered on the network.  If this is not your use case, you could try
> > something like this:
> >
> > lpadmin -p 3170-color -E -v ipp://<IP_address_here>/BINARY_P1 -m
> > everywhere
> >
> > Which will use the CUPS driverless method:
> >
> > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Driverless_printing
>
> These instruction on Gengoo Driveless printing are not clear.
> I tried to follow this example and run:
>
> lpadmin -p foobar -E -v ipp://10.0.0.106/ipp -m everywhere
>
> did not create file: foobar.ppd in /etc/cups/ppd/
>
> ls -al /etc/cups/ppd/
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp   26945 Nov 30  2020 3170-color.ppd
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp   26929 Nov 30  2020 3170-color.ppd.O
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp   16460 Jan 27 13:48 5370.ppd
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp   25537 Jan 27 13:46 5370.ppd.O
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     0 Dec 13 17:47 .keep_net-print_cups-0
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp   16476 Apr  7  2022 L6200.ppd
> -rw-r----- 1 root lp   16476 Apr  7  2022 L6200.ppd.O

Did you run the lpadmin command as root?

> But it did create foobar local raw printer name foobar, and when I tried to
> print to it, it spit out strange characters.

Where did you find this local raw printer?

What does 'lpstat -t' run as your plain user show?

> I noticed you substitute after <IP-address>/ipp with
> <IP_address_here>/BINARY_P1 This is not very clear in Gentoo Documentation
>
> Trying it:
> lpadmin -p 3170-color2 -E -v ipp://10.0.0.105/BINARY_P1 -m everywhere
>
> It did not create any file name: 3170-color2.ppd ; but it did create entry
> in printer entry  3170-color2 - local raw printer and printing to it works
> OK.  Thank you!

You can try moving temporarily all .ppd files from /etc/cups/ppd/ and try
running the lpadmin command again.  Perhaps if it finds some ppd file already
in there with the same settings it won't create a new file.

> Can you explain the  <IP-address>/ipp vs. <IP_address_here>/BINARY_P1

If you login into the printer's admin GUI with your browser and navigate to
Network, Services, you will see a list of service names.  You can try
configuring CUPS with each one at a time to see what works for you.