On Wednesday, January 31, 2024 2:01:32 PM CET Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 6:45 AM John Covici <cov...@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> > I know you said you wanted to stay with ext4, but going to zfs reduced
> > my backup time on my entire system from several hours to just a few
> > minutes because taking a snapshot is so quick and copying to another
> > pool is also very quick.
>
> Honestly, at this point I would not run any storage I cared about on
> anything but zfs.  There are just so many benefits.
>
> I'd consider btrfs, but I'd have to dig into whether the reliability
> issues have been solved. I was using that for a while, but I found
> that even features that were touted as reliable had problems from time
> to time.  That was years ago, however.  On paper I think it is the
> better option, but I just need to confirm whether I can trust it.

I actually looked into the state of btrfs last week and it's still far from
usable and not even
close to what ZFS offers.

For a good read:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/examining-btrfs-linuxs-perpetually-half-finished-filesystem/[1]

In short:
- raid5/6/.. are still broken.
- Missing drive prevent boot unless you tell it to accept a missing drive.
- Replacing a broken drive requires a lot of steps to make it sane again

--
Joost

--------
[1]