On 11/7/05, Jarry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> b.n. wrote:
>
> >> Polite and respectful.
> > They don't look that much.
>
> Well, I always thought that using the words like "please" is a sign
> of respect to others. On the other side, some of replies included
> phrases like "...it bloody matters!..." or "how the hell would we
> know...!" or "Jarry needs variable BRAVE_YET_DUMB=1". Although
> such words do not sound good to me, I would never dare to say their
> authors are arrogant...

You are just brave and dumb. Take a look at how many people explained
or attempted to explain why running upgrades as cron jobs is a dumb
thing do to, and you simply neglected them. To make things worse, you
stated: "I prefer rather breaking some dependencies in my system, over
leaving some security hole in it". Which is plain bs.

> I asked the question seriously. When I switched to gentoo, everybody
> told me "...c'mon, come'n'try gentoo, there are no versions like in
> redhat, suse or debian, it is always updated!...". Suddenly there are
> versions...
>
> (BTW, I wrote I was impressed by portage speed last week, during
>  upgrade. It means I could not have old portage version)

As well as brave and dumb, you are also ignorant. There are versions,
and it is clearly mentioned in the documentations. It's always
up-to-date doesn't mean there are no versions. There are no
*releases*, but there are versions.

Back to the arrogance bit, people give you advices or suggestions, in
the hope that you could maintain your system better, you are perfectly
entitled to stick to your no-so-bright way, but you can't stop us
thinking that defending those *wrong* ways are somewhat arrogant.

Again, good luck with your server maintenance.

-- Joe

Those who can count, and those who can't.