On 2024-03-04, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:

>> > Quiz question: did you rebuild your toolchain *before* or *after* bzip2?
>> >
>> > Suspicion without proof, the startup code embedded by gcc and glibc may
>> > well be affected by the microarchitecture level. As may be libraries
>> > statically linked in...
>> >
>> > The safer way would be to run emerge -ev world, and afterwards build the
>> > packages with a second emerge -ev world ...
>>
>> Indeed, that seems to be the problem. I remember, my first try was with -v3
>> (as my buildhost supported this), and, after discovering the "surprise" on
>> the target machine, started the emerge -ev @world. Likely, glibc was not
>> the first package, so there are an unknown number of packets that have the
>> problem.
>>
>> I started to recompile the "usual suspects", like bzip2 and xz, which made
>> it a bit better, but still the emerge -uavDNk @world did not succeed.
>>
>> Now I'm doing again a emerge -ev @world on my buildhost again, so tomorrow
>> it should be solved.
>
> Unfortunately this still did not help.

There is [1] from 2021 also with -march, but it was worked around back
then and that was several years ago. But could it be the same thing?

[1] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1129458-start-0.html

It'd at least explain why the message is showing up... but while the
in-tree glibc-2.38 ebuilds do not have the line added in [2], the commit
to glibc-9999.ebuild says this is supposed to have been addressed
upstream [3].

[2]
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=5dbd6a821ff753e3b41324c4fb7c58cf65eeea33
[3]