On 31/03/2024 20:38, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
For commercial entities, the government could just contact the company and apply pressure, no need to sneak the backdoor in. Cf. RSA .

Apply pressure to who? At the end of the day, the only people the government can trust are their own agents.

Serving a "secret compliance" notice on a third party is always fraught with danger. Okay, I probably can't trust my own government to protect me, but if the US Government served a compliance notice on me I'd treat it with the respect it deserved - probably use it as loo paper!

Nobody should trust anybody else more than they have need to - and especially governments should not trust 3rd-party nationals! It's not worth it.

Cheers,
Wol